Monday, December 31, 2018

On the 6th Day of Christmas...



Hi, I’m Bridget! I’m from the same story as Colm O’Reilly.
I am here to share a more New Years-y themed post!
Now, in Scotland, (Where I’m from. A Scottish Lass is what I am!) Christmas isn’t actually an official holiday. It’s currently the mid 1950’s.
It was actually banned in the 1600’s. It’s been 300 years since yule celebrations were made illegal.
But now that I’m living in Ireland, we are free to have all the Christmas we want!

Enough about that now, I’m here to talk about Hogmanay. (Or, New Years Eve.)
We have delicious traditions to celebrate.
One of my favorite traditions, besides the annual steak-pie dinner, is the tradition of First Footing!

Tradition goes that after the stroke of midnight, friends, family, and neighbors go around visiting each other bearing gifts! (Usually of the food and drink variety.)
The first person to cross the threshold of a friend or neighbor’s house is considered to bring good luck to that house.
But, there is a catch. It is preferred that the first-footer is a tall, dark haired fellow.
It is a jolly tradition that goes into the wee hours of the New Year.
Sometimes even longer! First Footing has been known to last for days!

But probably my favorite thing is when we sing “Auld Lang Syne”.
Now, amongst many things, I love poetry; and Robert Burns has always been a favorite poet of mine. It is one of his most poplar works.
It’s a beautiful poem, set to an equally beautiful tune.
It is commonly sung on New Years Eve to usher in the New Year.
Which we do every year!
And now, I would like to share the whole poem with you.

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and old lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you'll buy your pint cup!
and surely I'll buy mine!
And we'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine;
But we've wandered many a weary foot,
since auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine;
But seas between us broad have roared,
since auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And there's a hand my trusty friend!
And give me a hand o' thine!
And we'll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne!

A few of the words were changed for ease of reading, but there you have it!
I hope you all have a wonderful New Years Eve! I’m off to celebrate with my family now.
Bye!

Thanks Bridget!
I hope all you readers had a great 2018. May your 2019 be filled with God’s blessings, and may His joy fill your hearts and homes this coming year!
Until tomorrow,

God bless!

Megan

poem written by Robert Burns, courtesy of Wikipedia.

1 comment:

The Sunshine Award Tag