Friday, February 8, 2019

Of Mysteries and Mayhem pt. 2 + Journal Tag



Greetings!
I apologize for being late with this post.
This post shall be a bit longer than most, as I will combine two in one!
Firstly, my long-ago promised post of my favorite mystery series...

Disclaimer:
All of these movie series are good, but some of them have things I wish they hadn't...
i.e. bad words, some questionable scenes I skip over, etc. I certainly don't condone the bad things. So a bit of "viewer discretion" is suggested for these shows. :)


So the first I would like to introduce probably don't really need introduction; Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!
These iconic fictional characters have been the most portrayed in the history of characters.
Firstly is this duo;

Mr. Holmes played by Basil Rathbone, and Dr. Watson by Nigel Bruce.
These guys are cool. I love black and white films.
Now, I haven't seen this in a while, but if my memory serves me correctly, there aren't any bad words or scenes in this series. Don't quote me though... ;)



Next we have a modern retelling of the characters, these fellows are set in modern times.
Sherlock is portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch, and John Watson by Martin Freeman.


This one is really cool, I really enjoyed watching these.
The way Sherlock's brilliant mind works, is mind-boggling.
I admit that these two are the best at being the iconic duo, Sherlock and Watson.
This series is enjoyable, and I bet you that if you watch it, you will at least once try to deduce about a random stranger, at least once. ;)
Warning: A bit intense in some scenes, and bad words are used on occasion, sadly...
And the first episode in season 2, I had to skip altogether. Watched the first...oh, probably 10 or 15 minutes, but it got weird quickly. Just a warning. :)


And the soundtrack? Pure brilliance.


Next up, a really cool series about my favorite FBI agent, Sue Thomas!


This series is really super cool. I don't think I remember any bad words in this show, it's pretty clean. Just very intense at some points, and has some real-world scary things that the FBI have to face.
But this is about a young Deaf woman who joins the FBI force. It's cool, because it's based on a real person! The FBI team is fantastic, and her dog, Levi, is the cutest thing ever, just sayin'. ;)



Finally we have a Victorian era police drama, The Murdoch Mysteries:


There are 12 seasons of this brilliant show. The main character, Detective Murdoch, played an FBI agent named Jack Hudson in Sue Thomas, that's how I discovered this show.
It's really cool, and the costumes are fantastic, being set in the 1890s and early 1900s.
There are "cameo appearances" by the famous historical figures of the time, whether it's Mark Twain, Theodore Roosevelt, Florence Nightingale, or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It's really cool, because they use actors who actually look like the historical person!
There are bad words, and some really weird episodes that might be worth skipping, and some of the bad-guy characters are really dark and twisted...so viewer discretion is to be used, most certainly. I don't like some of the episodes, and really dislike quite a few reoccurring or minor characters, so if you watch this, don't think I condone them. ;)
Just saying, George Crabtree is the best police Constable ever. I need a George. He's a really dorky, lovable character.


So that's it for my series favorites. There are lots of others that I have enjoyed, but I don't think I'll bog down the blog with all of 'em. ;)

Next up, the Revisiting Old Journals Tag!


  • Thank whoever tagged you, then link to him/her and the creator. (Melissa Gravitis).  
  • Thanks for tagging me, Rakayle Hier !
  • Go through your old journals (writing or otherwise), and share something from them: from world-building to sketches, to random quotes, to an entry, to short snippets of writing! 
  • And if you feel like it needs explaining, go for it!
  • Tag at least five other bloggers.
  • Feel free to use the header image! 
  • Have fun!

Wee! My first tag! This should be fun.
Alrighty, so I have had four journals over the past couple years, that I write daily, or semi-daily records of my life. 

The little one, in the front, is a fun little book. It is a 5 year journal that has 365 questions in it, so once it's finished will have 1,825 answers. Each day has the question, and underneath, five years worth of answers! It will be fun to look through it once it's all filled out in five years time.
Question examples:
"What song is currently stuck in your head?"
"On a scale of 1 to 10, how was your lunch?"
"Who do you live with?"
"What is the weather like outside?"

Journals:
 

Above is a snip of my first entry in my travel journal; the one on the left in the picture.

Besides that, I have my daily record journals, but I doubt there are any interesting things in those, so I will share some snippets of my writings that I have done instead. ;)

A Poem:

A few months ago, I wrote a poem about my anticipated trip to Kentucky. It's just something I scribbled out on a whim...


The summer months have come and gone,

A season new, arriving.

Frigid mornings, evenings cool,

Down the road we're driving.


An autumn road-trip, oh what fun!

Across the country wide.

To see new places, learn new things,

Excitement's multiplied.


Oh Kentucky, here we come!

Our time with you draws near.

Two months working, playing, learning.

Then back to homeland dear.


Friends and family bid us well,

We fondly say "Adieu.

It won't be long, til we return.

Our tales to tell to you!"



Story Snippet:

So, many moons ago, I started writing a story. I titled it The Quest.
It's about a girl who joins a spy team to find her lost parents, who were secretly spies and once presumed dead.
Here is a little snip from it, where she meets the first agent of the spy team:


My head was throbbing, but there was a bandage wrapped around it. I re-opened my eyes after the throbbing stopped. 
And when I did, I saw a guy looking at me with concern. 
“W-where am I?” 
He sighed in relief. “Phew, I thought you’d never come out of it!” 
I turned my head slowly, and found myself in a small room. 
It contained the bed I was on, two stools, a table, and a little stone fireplace that had a warm fire with a large pot over it.   
I then looked back into the guy’s face. “What happened? Where am I?” 
He reached out next to my head and held out a glass that had been sitting on a bedside table. 
“Here, drink this, then I’ll tell you.” 
I weakly held out my hand and took it. “What is it?” 
He smiled. “It’s just water.” 
I gingerly sipped it. It tasted good! Nice, cool, and refreshing. 
I finished it off quickly, and handed the glass back to him. 
"You want more?” He asked, starting to get up.
I quickly put my hand out. “No, that was enough. Thank you.” 
He sat back down and said, “Alright, about where you are and what happened; I am the one who was following you.” 
I slowly sat up against the bedpost. “Why on earth were you chasing me?” 
“I wasn’t “chasing” you, just following.” 
I eyed him closely. “Then why were you following me?” 
“Well, first things first. My name is Glen. And, well, I know where your parents are.”


Perhaps one day I'll finish this story. I rather like it. :)

So now I shall tag a few other bloggers!
*rubs chin thoughtfully*
I think I'll tag...
Tiffany,
Marrok,
Livvie,
Rebekah,
and Mary
 
Hope ya'll enjoyed this post. :)

~ Have you watched/heard of any of the mentioned series? ~
~ Do you like keeping daily-life journals? ~
~ How's the weather? ~

Farewell for now, and I will see you in the comment section!

God bless!

Megan

2 comments:

  1. I have watched some of the old Sherlock Holmes shows. They don't have any bad words. The ones I have seen anyway. I haven't seen any of the other movies. :)
    Nice journals!
    It is cold here. Around -12 degrees.
    Lovely poem too!!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, ok! Black and white movies are the best. :D
      Thanks! I like my books. ;)
      Brr! Cold! It's cold and rainy here, but mid 30's... not near as cold as you...brr!
      Thank you!!

      Delete

The Sunshine Award Tag