Thursday, December 27, 2018

On the 2nd Day of Christmas...


Hi, Amy from the Time Travelers here.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you!

Since Megan is apparently too busy to write these posts herself, she has enlisted the help of my friends and I.
A list of names were tossed into a hat, and my name was drawn first; so...
Here is what my Christmas looked like:

*knock knock*
“Miss Hyde?”
I sighed heavily, and lowered the violin from my shoulder.
Aaaand there goes violin practice for the rest of the day... “What, Saunders?”
My Grandmother’s stereotypical British butler stuck his head into my music room. “Miss Hyde, your presence has been requested in the drawing room. The guests have arrived.”
I raised the lid to my case, and gently laid my precious instrument in.
“Alight Mr. Saunders, tell Grandmother I’ll be down in a few minutes.”
The elderly butler nodded, and ducked back out of the room.
I loosened the hair on my bow, and slipped it in before closing and locking the case shut.
As I left the music room, I glanced down at the chain hung around my neck; attached were my late Father’s dog-tags.
My Grandmother didn’t think they were feminine, so frowned upon my wearing them. I lovingly ran my fingers across the raised words on the metal tags, then tucked the special necklace inside my cream blouse before entering the drawing room.

I entered the room and spotted Josh and his Great Aunt, my Grandmother, and a few of her old friends that I’m not too familiar with.
I waved nervously as my eyes scanned the room for a seat I could take.
“Merry Christmas everyone.”
Josh waved me over to where he sat on a couch. “Sit here!”
Grandmother cleared her throat as I padded across the plush carpet to my friend’s side. “Amy, you’re just in time, I was telling everyone about how well you play your violin.”
I stopped short on my brief trek to the couch. “What?”
All of the guests nodded.
Grandmother smiled primly. “Why don’t you fetch your instrument and give us a little recital?”
“B-but—”
Josh leapt up. “Come on Amy, just a little song?”
I felt my face getting red from the attention of everyone, but nodded slowly. “Oh, I guess...I’ll go get my violin.”
Josh jumped up and hurried after me as I left the room. “Hey Amy!”
I glanced over my shoulder and scowled. “Gee, thanks, now I’ve gotta play.”
He gave me his goofy grin. “But you’re real good at it.”
“I don’t like to play for an audience.”
He continued to follow me up the staircase. “Gosh, sorry...But...You’re still gonna play though, right?”
I scoffed. “Do I have a choice?”
Josh stopped his assent up the stairway, and frowned at the carpeted steps.
“Maybe—” He snapped his fingers. “Oh, I know! I’ll hide it, and you can say that you couldn’t find it!”
I laughed. “You’re a pal, Josh. But I don’t think that would work.”
He took the steps three at a time and reached the landing. “Oh, alright.”
We fell silent as we approached the music room door.
I was about to reach for the handle when Josh coughed. “Hey, would’ja like your Christmas present now?”
“Now? Why now?”
He followed me into the room. “I figured you wouldn’t want everyone to—” He pulled a package out of his back pocket and thrust it into my hands.
I gently pulled the wrapping paper off the package. Inside, I found what looked to be two small oval gold plated picture frame. I looked at my friend in confusion.
He grinned. “It’s for your Dad’s tags. They should fit perfectly inside, and they’ll be pretty, and maybe your Gramma won’t mind you wearing them.”
I clasped the golden frames to my chest, and smiled broadly at my friend. “Oh Josh, this is the sweetest gift! Thank you!”
He beamed. “I was hoping you’d like them.”
I opened my hands, and admired the intricate gold lining before hastily slipping them into the pocket of my jeans. “Thank you very much, Joshua.”
He shrugged and grinned. “Glad you like them. Now...better get that violin. Don’t want Gramma to get impatient.”
I sighed and reached for my instrument. “Yes, this is true. I shall play, but only one song.”
We both started back down.
Josh skipped a couple steps ahead of me. “Three songs!”
I gripped the handle of my case a little tighter. “One.”
“Four!”
I shook my head. “That’s not how you’re supposed to haggle.”
He turned and walked backwards; a grin on his face. “Five. That’s my final offer.”
I rolled my eyes, and chuckled in defeat. “Two. And that’s all I’ll do, or none at all.”

My bow slid over the strings of my violin, my fingers pressing and sliding to create the melodies of two of my favorite Christmas carols.
When I finished, and the small group applauded, I caught Josh’s eye and smiled.
“One final song.”
Josh’s face lit up and he settled back on his couch in glee as I played what I knew to be his favorite Christmas song:
“God Bless Us, Everyone”

Thanks for helping out, Amy.
Hope you all enjoyed!
Until tomorrow,

God Bless!

Megan

1 comment:

The Sunshine Award Tag